Eight Reasons to Visit Greece: More than Meets the Eye
I recently took a trip to Greece with an amazing group of Michigan alumni. This was actually a destination on my bucket list, and it did not disappoint.
I have read that the Greeks have one of the healthiest cultures in the world and experience long lifespans. After spending a week there, I can see why. The islands – no matter which ones you visit – are all beautiful and interesting in their own unique ways. However, there is much more to the country than meets the eye.
The following are six additional reasons why everyone should travel to Greece:
1. The water – It’s beautiful. Period. The color, temperature, and beaches are amazing. You have to see it to believe it. No matter what island you visit, the water is one of the main attractions.
2. The people – Greeks are kind and generous people, and their hospitality is over the top.
3. The food – A Mediterranean diet is one of the freshest and cleanest in the world. The fresh fish and produce, as well as olive oil and wine, have the best flavors. In addition, the locals love to gather and dine outside. Our group ate al fresco nearly every meal, which enhanced and heightened the experience.
4. The wine – Greece is an emerging wine producer and getting rave reviews from critics. We visited the Domaine Skouras winery in Mycenae, and it was one of the highlights of the trip.
5. The connection – There is a strong sense of community and connection throughout Greece. Eating outdoors, having mid-day coffee with friends, walking the streets, and living in small communities are some of the benefits for a healthy and fulfilling life.
6. The weather – I was there in September, and the weather could not have been more perfect. The sun was out in full force every day, and the temperatures were in the mid-80s. Make sure to pack your sunscreen and sunglasses.
All the islands we visited were unique – and beautiful – in their own way. If you want to experience the culture and history of Greece, take a land tour. If you want to experience the beauty of the islands, take a cruise. Whatever way you choose, Greece is one country everyone should visit.
Make sure to visit the Michigan Alumni Travel trip finder for more information on our alumni trips to Greece.
Islands visited: Poros (home base), Nafplio, Hydra, and Mycenae.